A Medieval Temple Bellapais
The Peace Monastery which takes its name from the French "Abbaye de la Paix" is a beautiful example of Gothic art and is built on a rocky mountain top, south of Ozankoy village below the skirts of Five-Finger Mountains to the southeast of Kyrenia. Bellapais Abbey, which holds a special place in the island's architectural inheritance, is among the monuments of the many civilizations which haveestablished themselves on the island.Located three miles to the east of Kyreina, built on a rocky outcrop on the slopes of the Five-Finger Mountain range, Bellapais Abbey was of great importance to a people for whom peace was elusive. In North Cyprus, where several monuments to the Gothic period still remain, Bellapais Abbey stands to the fore. The first inhabitants of monestary
were Augustinian monks who migrated there after the capture of Jerusalem by Salahaddin Ayyoubi in 1187. The main part of the monastery was built during 1198-1205 by King Hugh III of France. When the island was taken by
Ottomans, the building was delivered to the Orthodox Church. The Italian frescoes seen at the entrance of the chapel were painted in 15th century. Overlooking the town of magnificent Gothic-style monastery, with its dining room, underground cellars, kitchen, meeting room and treasury is really worth visiting.